Streets & Drainage

The Streets & Drainage Division maintains Burgaw storm drains and ditches, street sweeps weekly, repairs streets, patches potholes, repairs sidewalks, repairs/replaces street signs maintains right of ways and line of sights on town streets and intersections. Within this division, town crews maintain the drives of the Burgaw Cemetery. To report potholes, drainage problems, or ask questions about Burgaw street-related issues, contact Public Works at (910) 259-2901.

Hwy 117, Hwy 53, 117 Business (Timberly Lane and South Walker Street), Wilmington Street, Penderlea Highway, Henry Brown Road, part of West Wallace, Smith Street, Progress and Worth Beverage Drives, Ridgewood Ave and McKoy Road are maintained by NCDOT. The DOT Roadside Maintenance phone number is (910) 259-5414, this can be used to report problems on NCDOT roads. You can also use this form on their website to report potholes for repair. 


Street Lights

Duke Progress Energy maintains street lights in the Town of Burgaw.  You can use their online form to report a streetlight that has gone out or is damaged. This form will allow you to zoom in on specific street lights and report them as out or broken. 

If possible please write down the pole # to help speed up the repair process. All repairs are done by Duke Energy Progress and they will send e-mails on the status of your request if you chose to provide your e-mail. 

If there is a hazardous condition such as a wire hanging low or lying on the ground, please call us immediately at (800) 419-6356.

Storm Drains

Public Works: (910) 259-2901

Storm drainage systems within Town street right-of-way are maintained by the Town. Storm drainage systems outside Town street rights-of-way are the responsibility of the property owner.

For public right-of-way maintenance issues and to report clogged, non-functioning or damaged storm drains, contact the Public Works Department. Do not place grass clippings, leaves, brush, etc., that would restrict water flow in the street curb and gutter area. Instead, place yard waste on the edge of your front yard and off the street pavement for collection. This will assist in preventing clogged drainage arteries.

For other questions regarding drainage, contact the Public Works Department.

Street Maintenance

Public Works: (910) 259-2901
NCDOT Maintenance Office: (910) 259-5414 or (910) 259-4919

By calling the Burgaw Public Works, residents can leave messages listing any street or transportation-related problem, and details about the specific location of the problem, such as the nearest street addresses, on streets within town limits. Problems can range from potholes to shrubbery blocking line-of-sight at intersections, to damaged street curbing and more.

Please note that there are several state maintained roads in the Town of Burgaw and you will need to contact NCDOT for maintenance of these roads. The following are roads maintained by the State of North Carolina:

  • Hwy 117
  • Hwy 53
  • 117 Business (Timberly Lane and South Walker Street)
  • Wilmington Street
  • Penderlea Highway
  • Henry Brown Road
  • Part of West Wallace
  • Smith Street
  • Progress and Worth Beverage Drives
  • Ridgewood Ave
  • McKoy Road


Street Cleaning

Public Works: (910) 259-2901

The Town provides street sweeping each Monday morning, weather permitting, in the downtown area and areas with curb and gutter.